Friday, July 15, 2016

Pokemon Go, IT Policy and Waahi Tapu

Gotta Catchem All!

Pokemon Go is everywhere.

When I was an English teacher in Seoul South Korea back in 2000/2001, my students started bringing in a little yellow doll called Pikachu. They would talk about Ash and his search for Pokemon. Apparently there are millions but he and his team had discovered 120.  I loved how passionate the kids spoke about this cartoon so incorporated it into my teaching lessons.



A couple weeks back, Niantic, Inc brought the search for Pokemon back to life but this time, infused augmented reality, location-based tec, a smart phone app and the world has gone nuts!

We had a girl hit by a car whilst out searching for digital Pokemon, 2 men fell from a 50ft cliff, 1 guy was stabbed (but still continued playing) and a group of teens lured and attacked a man who had gone to a Pokemon Go checkpoint.

Rotorua got together today in the Government Gardens and had a Pokemon Go meeting.


We even heard about a Pokemon Go Gym being right outside a gang pad!  Can only imagine what the bro's inside were thinking when everyone started turning up.

And then a friend contacted me with a concern - did I know that some Pokemon Go locations could be found inside urupa and waahi tapu (cemeteries and sacred places)?

He sent me this; Hey, maybe don't go play Pokemon Go at the Holocaust Museum.

So then it got me wondering - who is looking after waahi tapu and sites of historical significance when it comes to games, augmented reality and virtual reality?  

It is safe to assume that there are some restricted places, such as prisons, army camps, the Prime Minsters residence (maybe) but what about places that matter to us?

It is more a talking point for now but I do believe a group should be brought together within Internet NZ to at least korero and start wider discussions with the Maori community and the Developer community.

Hopefully, I will get that opportunity.

If you still don't know what I'm talking about, check out this page on The Basics of Pokemon Go.

If you still don't go....move along lol....


Photo Credit: Oryan McLean (kia ora bro!)









No comments:

Post a Comment